Jaigarh Fort Jaipur

Jaigarh Fort Jaipur

by Rohit Rathore

Jaigarh Fort Jaipur

Jaigarh Fort Jaipur is situated on the promontory dubbed The Cheel ka Teela (Hill of Eagles) of the Aravalli range. It overlooks the Amer Fort and the Maota Lake near Amer, located in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India. The Fort was constructed in 1726 by Jai Singh II in 1726 to defend Jaigarh Fort Jaipur from attack by the Amer Fort and its palace complex and was named in honour of Jai Singh II.

The Fort, built with a rugged appearance and similar in a structure similar to Amer Fort, is also named Victory Fort. It measures 3 kilometres in the north-south line and a width of one km. It is home to an artillery piece dubbed “Jaivana”(Jaivana Cannon). It was constructed in the precincts of the Fort and was the world’s most giant Cannon mounted on wheels. Jaigarh Fort Jaipur and Amer Fort are linked through underground passages and considered one single complex.

Jaigarh_fort_jaipur

History of Jaigarh Fort

Dara Shikoh secured the high inviolable Mughal Cannon outpost at Jaigarh Fort, in the year 1658, during the Mughal conflict of succession.

Amer was identified in the earlier and medieval times as Dhundhar. Meenas controlled the kingdom before the 10th century AD. Today, it is known as Jaigarh Fort, which was the principal defensive structure rather than the palace itself. Both designs are connected through extensive fortifications and were ruled by the Kachwahas from the 10th century to the present. The story of Amer and Jaigarh is inextricably linked to the rulers who led them since they established their empire in Amer.

The reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, Jaigarh Fort Jaipursituated 150 miles to the southwest of Delhi was one of the most efficient cannon foundries, primarily because of the abundant iron ore mines in the close vicinity of the Fort. Jaigarh Fort Jaipur was the Cannon’s foundry. Jaigarh Fort Jaipurhad a massive wind tunnel that drew air from the mountains to its furnace. This created temperatures up to 2400 degF.

The heated air would then melt the iron. The molten metal would then fill the reservoir chamber before passing through a mould for a cannon in the pit for casting. The majority of these cannons were huge, usually 16 feet long, and needed to be made in just one day.

The Rajput also constructed a vast innovative mechanical device with an exact gear system, driven by four pairs of oxen. This device was used to hollow out cannon barrels. The Mughal conflict began in 1658; Dara Shikoh secured the cannon outpost of Jaigarh Fort Jaipuruntil he was defeated and killed by his brother Aurangzeb.

In the following year, however, Mughal King Muhammad Shah appointed Jai Singh II as the official Mughal quiladar of Jaigarh Fort, according to a fireman. Ultimately Jai Singh II is the person who shaped the famous Jaivana Cannon by utilizing the vital foundry and the devices in Jaigarh Fort.

A thick wall of red sandstone heavily fortifies the Fort. Fort is spread across a layout design with a length of 3 kilometres and a wide of one kilometre. It is surrounded by a large area of a square garden area (160 acres) within site. Each corner has a rampart that is sloped and allows access to the higher structures. The palaces are home to halls and courtrooms with screen windows. The central tower of the watch set on the elevated ground offers excellent views of the surrounding scenery.

The Aram Mandir, as well as the courtyard garden located on the northern part of the complex Fort, features a triple-arched gateway, “The Awani Darwaza”, which has been renovated in recent years to provide excellent perspectives of Sagar Lake; water from the lake was brought to the Fort in bags loaded onto elephant backs as well as by people transporting water pots.

It is situated in the east-west direction and faces the west. The architectural elements are of the Indo-Persian style, with cyclopean walls made of decorated stone and plastered with lime mortar. The gateway that has three archways and fortification walls on top is painted in yellow and red. There are two temples in the Fort’s precincts.

One can be described as that of Ram Harihar temple of the 10th century. The other temple is called the Kal Bhairav temple, which dates back to the 12th-century antique.

Armoury Jaigarh Fort Jaipur

The chamber of armour is filled with weapons, shields, swords, muzzles, and muskets, as well as the 50-kg cannonball. Images on display are Jaipur’s Maharajas, Sawai Bhawani Singh and Major General Man Singh II, who served in the Indian Army as senior officers.

Jaigarh_fort_jaipur 4

Museum at Jaigarh Fort Jaipur

Museum

The museum is situated on the left side of the Awami Gate. It houses photos depicting The Royalty of Jaipur, stamps, and many other objects, including a circular set of cards. A spittoon dating to the 15th-century antique and an original plan was drawn by the hand of the palaces can be seen inside the museum.

The Jaivana Cannon

Jaigarh Fort Jaipurwas a centre of production of artillery for the Rajputs. It is currently the location of Jaivana. When it was in manufacturing in 1720, it was a giant Cannon on wheels in that Early Modern Era. The foundry that produced it is also in this area.

A plaque located near the entrance to the enclosure in which it is displayed, the Jaivan Cannon is displayed gives pertinent information about the history of the Cannon and its dimensions and use. The Cannon wasn’t employed in battles as its owners; the Rajput ruling family of Amer were friendly and ties with Mughals.

This demonstrates the preserved features of the Fort. The Cannon was fired once, with a charge of one hundred kilograms gunpowder. It, when fired, covered a distance of 35 km.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.